What makes a good nutraceutical?
When it comes to what makes the perfect nutraceutical, everyone has a slightly different opinion. We asked members of the Lintbells team from various functions within the company to explain their perspective…
Ellie, Technical Advisor and Vet Nurse:
In my opinion, a great supplement improves the lives and wellbeing of pets, and in turn, owners. As pet owners, we feel everything our pet feels, so it’s great to know that something natural and wholesome can allow us to live our best lives with our best friends.
Adam, Business Engagement Lead:
I’m like a vet in the respect that I would like to see a peer reviewed randomized controlled trial (although in reality knowing about the marketing restrictions, I’m more reassured on that point).
Amazon/Trustpilot reviews are valid in my view.
I’m happy if the supplement provides a ‘see the difference’ guarantee and I like to hear common sense about how and why it will make a difference to your pet’s welfare. The claims of efficacy of the product have to be realistic – overhyped science, pseudo-science, and miracle product are all in the ‘too good to be true’ bracket for me.
The company should look as if it has a good approach to animal welfare and contribute in other ways by educating or signposting to good sources of information and other measures you can take to improve your pet’s welfare.
Louise, Operations Manager:
A good supplement should meet this tick list. It should:-
- Be easy to buy
- Be easy to find in store/online
- Have a clear purpose and likely benefits
- Be transparent on content and active ingredients
- Have ‘clean labelling’ for excipients
- Demonstrable proven results
- Supported by scientific statement
- Have celebrity/key opinion people endorsement
- Taste good
- Be easy to administer
- Have simple to understand dosing
- Be clear that it isn’t a drug
- Be classy but affordable
- Be in a recyclable package, yet protects product
- Frustration free packaging
- Environmentally friendly product
- Made by an accredited manufacturer who matches Lintbells values & standards
Rachel, Technical Manager and Vet:
Efficacious – it needs to do what it is supposed to do
Palatable – as you will be giving it long term
Safe – benefit:risk must be high
Affordable – no point being amazing if no one can afford it!
Liz, Customer Service Manager:
One that works and supports pets and their owners in ways that improves pets’ lives and improves owners’ lives.
It should be:
- Scientifically sound/proven to work
- Easy to use
- Tasty (enjoyed by pets!)
- Effective in a relatively short time
- Without ‘side-effects’
- Widely and easily available to buy
- In customer- and environmentally-friendly packaging
- In appropriate pack sizes
- Made from safe and quality ingredients
- Supported by a committed, customer-focussed team
- Something that pet owners want to celebrate and share with others
What would be on your wish-list?