Your step by step guide to delegation
If you end up doing everything yourself, it’s no wonder you are exhausted. It’s time to delegate. We have a step by step guide!
- About to do a task? STOP!
- Decide whether the task CAN be delegated – is there an appropriate qualified person available to carry out the task and do they have the resources to carry it out within the desired time frame?
- Decide whether the task SHOULD be delegated – is there a benefit to someone else carrying out the task? Do you have more urgent or skilled work to do while someone else does the delegated work?
- Specify what you want the appropriate, qualified person to do – this might just be the desired outcome (what, when) or require more direction (how, where).
- Establish the limits of the work and signal your availability to provide support if required but don’t volunteer to take over if it’s not necessary.
- Ensure you are updated about progress and focus on the results achieved, recognising that different people have different ways of working.
- Remember to always give recognition and feedback.